Whenever we read or hear about an extinct or prehistoric species, the first thing we do is imagine it in our mind. We try to create a picture in our mind about the animal but it is only possible if we have correct information about its size, weight, shape and any other physical description. Saber tooth tiger have fascinated many of us and with the movies like Ice Age and 10,000 B.C. we got a clear picture what it would have been looked like. However these movies do not give a clear picture about the Saber Tooth Tiger Size. The exact information about How Big was a Saber Tooth Tiger can be determined from its fossils and the skeleton that has been made from its fossils. We have gathered complete information about the size of saber tooth tigers and compared it with the modern cats so that you can have a clear idea about its size.
How Big was a Saber Tooth Tiger
- When we ask how big is something we are asking about three main features which are height, length and weight. These three physical features helps us in estimating the exact size of something and also helps in comparison with other things.
- So in order to ascertain how big was a saber tooth tiger, we need to know the height, length and weight that has been estimated by studying its fossils.
- S.fatalis is the specie of smilodon which is commonly referred as the saber tooth tiger. It length was about 2.2 meters and its shoulder height was 1.1 meters and weighed about 250 kg on average.
Saber Tooth Tiger Size
- Since there were three species of saber tooth tiger and they had different sizes so we have listed them below:
|S. gracilis||55 to 100 kg (120 to 220 Pounds)||Unknown||Unknown|
|S. fatalis||160 to 280 kg (350 to 620 pounds)||100 cm (39 inches)||175 cm (68.9 in)|
|S. populator||220 to 400 kg (490 to 880 pounds)||120 cm (47 inches)||Unknown|
- It was the smallest specie of saber tooth tiger.
- It was about the size of the modern day jaguar.
- It was bigger in size than S. gracilis but smaller than S. populator.
- It was about the size of the modern day lions but it was more muscular and had more weight.
- It was the largest specie of saber tooth tiger.
- It was more robust than the other two species.
- It had a long and narrow skull when compared to the other two species.
- Its forelimbs were a bit longer than its hind limbs.
- Its footprint was bigger than the bengal tigers of today.
Saber Tooth Tiger Tail Size
- The saber tooth tiger had a very small tail as compared to the modern cats. it was about 35 cm long (13.9 inches).
How Do We Know the Saber Tooth Tiger Size
- Paleontologist have studied the fossil bones and teeth to ascertain:
- the height, weight and length of saber tooth tiger.
- placement and strength of its muscles, tendons, nerves, blood vessels, and ligaments.
- the skin and hair are rarely found in the fossils so very less is know about it.
- The weight is very hard to ascertain as the fossils do not provide any information about the body fat.
Learn more: Saber Tooth Tiger Facts
Saber Tooth Tiger Size Comparison
How Big was a Saber Tooth Tiger Video