We all love our cats and we always want them to be safe. Some people consider Fox as a threat to their cats and have a question in mind that “Do foxes Eat Cats“. Here we have explained in detail whether foxes eat cats or not, along with whether “Can foxes eat cats or not”. You are also going to learn about foxes attacking cats, hunting them, biting them, whether they are scared of eachother or not, attacking behaviour of wild, urban and rural foxes, attack on, kittens, domestic and feral cats and how can you keep your cat safe from foxes.
Do Foxes Eat Cats
- The simple answer to this question is that foxes do not eat cats as they are not part of their normal diet.
- A cat has more risk of being attacked and injured by another cat than a fox.
1. Do Foxes Attack Cats – Will A Fox Attack A Cat
- Foxes are predators by nature.
- They are likely to eat animals like mice, rabbits, chickens, etc.
- They can also attack kittens or unwell adult cats and may even eat them.
- However, the chances of a fox for attacking a healthy adult cat are very rare. The reason behind this is the sharp claws of a cat and its pointed teeth which generally are enough to scare a fox away.
- Foxes only attack these cats when they run out of other food supplies but the healthy cats can defend themselves well.
- Sometimes, the cats encounter road accidents in which they die. A fox seeing a dead cat is likely to eat it. This situation is sometimes misinterpreted as the fox has killed the cat.
- However, on average, only 3 out of every 10,000 cats actually indulge in fights with foxes per year.
2. Do Foxes Hunt Cats
- Foxes hunt for cats very rarely.
- This happens only when the fox is wild and extremely hungry.
3. Cat Bitten By Fox
- Cats are less likely to be attacked by foxes.
- However, if your cat is not strong enough to fight back, then it might get some wounds from a fox.
- If your cat gets bitten by a fox, you should immediately take it to the vet depending upon the severity of the injury.
- It is always good to see a doctor in such cases because the attacker i.e. the fox might have been suffering from a disease such as rabies and it might have been transferred it to the victim i.e. your cat through the bite.
- If you do not take a serious notice of such incidents, then they might prove to be fatal for your cat.
4. Are Cats Scared Of Foxes
- Cats are not scared of foxes because generally, the size of an adult cat is enough to defend itself against a fox.
5. Are Foxes Scared Of Cats
- Foxes are also not scared of cats because a cat never tends to chase a fox unless a fox messes up with a cat first.
6. Fox Vs Cat
- Fox is an omnivorous mammal i.e. it feeds on both plants and animals whereas cat is a carnivorous mammal i.e. it feeds only on animals.
- Fox belongs to the Canidae family whereas cat belongs to the Felidae family.
- The average weight of a fox is 6 to 7 kgs whereas the average weight of a cat is 3.5 to 4.5 kgs.
- The average height of a fox is 62 to 72 cm whereas the average height of a cat is 23 to 25 cm.
7. Do Foxes Eat Small Cats – Do Foxes Eat Kittens
- Foxes generally do not attack on adult cats but they are likely to attack the kittens that are relatively smaller in size.
- They may also kill those kittens and then eat them afterwards because after all, foxes are omnivorous i.e. they can eat other animals too.
8. Do Urban Foxes Eat Cats – Do Urban Foxes Attack Cats
- Foxes are very less likely to attack cats.
- However, some urban foxes do attack cats while struggling to find their food.
- In the cities, usually we take very good care of cleanliness and hygiene, therefore, we do not throw food leftovers here and there.
- This is why foxes find difficulty in finding a sufficient amount of food.
- Hence, they attack the cats and if their killing attempt is successful, then they even eat that cat to fill their appetite.
- On average, an urban fox can kill one cat in every 6 years.
- But the cat population greatly outnumbers the fox population i.e. around 500 cats live in each fox territory.
- Therefore, the chances of an urban fox to attack a particular cat are very rare.
9. Do Rural Foxes Eat Cats
- Rural foxes are naturally very shy.
- They do not generally roam around like the urban cats.
- Therefore, they mostly feed on fruits and vegetables and hence they do not indulge themselves in a fight with a cat.
10. Do Wild Foxes Eat Cats
- The answer to this question again depends upon the condition of the wild fox.
- If it has not found a sufficient amount of food to satisfy its appetite, then it may attack a cat and even eat it if cat is the only food it can consume at the moment.
11. Do Foxes Eat Cats UK – Do Foxes Eat Cats London
- Only a small number of cases have been reported of the cats being eaten by foxes in London.
- Mostly, the cats are killed by having fights with stray dogs or having road accidents.
12. Do Foxes Eat Cats Canada
- Canada has a large population of red foxes.
- Because of this fact, there are more chances for them to attack cats.
- However, if they do find sufficient supplies of food, then there is no point for them in attacking and eating a cat.
13. Do Foxes Eat Cats Australia
- Foxes generally do not eat cats in Australia.
- However, these two creatures together pose a great threat to the other mammals living in Australia.
14. Do Foxes Eat House Cats – Do Foxes Eat Domestic Cats
- Foxes do not attack on adult domestic cats because they are strong enough to fight back.
- However, foxes are very opportunistic in nature.
- If they do not find any other food, then they might attack and even eat the domestic kittens.
15. Do Foxes Eat Feral Cats
- Feral cats are cats that have managed to escape from captivity.
- They generally become wild after a certain period of time.
- However, they form a good prey for the foxes.
16. Do Foxes Eat Dead Cats
- Foxes rarely attack and kill cats however, if they do encounter a dead cat, they are most likely to eat it because of their omnivorous nature.
17. Do All Foxes Eat Cats
- No, all foxes do not eat cats.
- It all depends upon the amount of food that is available for them.
- If a fox is getting a sufficient amount of food such as plants, fruits and small animals like mice, rabbits, etc. then it will never dare to attack a cat or eat it.
18. Do Red Foxes Eat Cats – Do Red Foxes Eat Domestic Cats
- Red fox is the largest and strongest of all the fox species. That is why, it is more likely to attack cats.
- However, the probability of a red fox eating a domestic cat entirely depends upon the situation.
- If it can find its food through other means, then it does not have to eat a domestic cat.
19. Do Grey Foxes Eat Cats
- No, a cat is not a part of a grey fox’s diet.
20. Do Fennec Foxes Eat Cats
- Fennec foxes cannot eat cats because of their extremely small weight.
- The average weight of a fennec fox is only 0.68 to 1.6 kgs which is much smaller than the average weight of a cat.
21. Do Kit Foxes Eat Cats
- Kit foxes also possess a relatively lesser weight as that of a cat.
- A kit fox weighs only 2.5 kgs.
- Therefore, it cannot eat cats.
- It only feeds on small animals and plants.
22. Do Foxes Eat Cat Food – Do Foxes Eat Cat Biscuits
- Foxes do eat cat food.
- But because of their wild nature, they must also have an equal access to other raw food items.
- Feeding them only on cat food can be troublesome for their health.
23. Do Red Foxes Eat Cat Food
- No, red foxes do not eat cat food.
24. Can Baby Foxes Eat Cat Food
- Yes, baby foxes can eat cat food.
- However, they must also be provided with little insects and plants to balance their diet.
25. Do Cats And Foxes Get Along
- Foxes and cats generally tend to maintain a safe distance from each other.
- They are neither enemies nor can they be friends.
- They just behave indifferently towards one another.
26. Do Foxes Eat Cat Poop
- Yes, foxes do eat cat poop because sometimes, it contains undigested food which can be a good meal for a fox.
27. How To Stop Foxes Attacking Cats
- Foxes do not normally attack cats. But if they are hungry, then they are likely to do so.
- The best way to stop foxes from attacking cats is to keep your cats indoors.
- However, it is not the nature of a cat to stay indoors all the time. The cats need the liberty to roam around freely.
- Therefore, you can think of building some outdoor enclosures for your cats where it can get the feel of the outdoor environment but it can stay perfectly safe from other animals.
- Moreover, also try to keep the foxes away from your garden for that is the best place for them to attack your cat.
28. How To Get Rid Of Foxes – How To Deter Foxes
- Use commercial fox repellents.
- Do not throw food leftovers or garbage outside your house.
- Do not feed the foxes.
- Block all the ways through which a fox can possibly enter your house.
- Put spikes on your walls and fences for keeping the foxes away.
- Stop foxes from digging dens by using concrete bases for your garages and sheds.
29. How To Keep Foxes Out Of Your Garden
- Properly fence your garden.
- Keep some hidden fox traps in your garden.
- Keep your garden lighted because foxes love to live in darkness.
- Use lawn mowers to trim out extraordinarily long grass and shrubs for they can prove to be the best places for a fox to hide.
- Foxes also hate loud noises so you can even leave your radio turned on in your garden.
30. Do Foxes Eat Cats Video