Saber Tooth Tiger is a prehistoric predator which got extinct at the end of the Ice Age about 10,000 years ago. This means that it is not alive today and you can not see it. You may have heard about it because it is very popular due to its unique and amazing appearance. You might wonder What does a Saber Tooth Tiger Look Like as it is popular, has an attractive name (saber tooth tiger) and is definitely something amazing in appearance. Here at Kidz Feed we have gathered a lot of information, pictures and video to give you a complete overview about saber tooth tiger appearance.
What does a Saber Tooth Tiger Look Like
1. Two Long Canines
- The most distinguishing feature of the saber tooth tiger is its pair of elongated saber shaped canines that were very sharp. It is due to this pair of long sharp canines that they are called the saber tooth.
- The pair of canine can grow up to 8 inches (20 cm) while the lower canines are smaller in size.
- They extended out from the mouth even when the mouth was closed.
- In order to use these canine for hunting the saber tooth tiger was able to open up its jaw up to 90 degrees which is much more than the modern cats.
- These teeth grew up into full size in three years after birth.
2. Saber Tooth Tiger Size
- When comparing to modern day predators, the size of Saber Tooth Tiger was similar to the modern African Lions. However, it was much stronger and had limbs that were shorter.
- The mass of different Saber Tooth Tiger species ranged from 55 kg to 400 kg.
- The length of the body was around 5.7 feet (175 cm).
- Its shoulder height was around 100 cm.
- It had a large head and strong neck muscles to capture large prey using its mouth.
3. Physical Appearance
- Some of the physical features of Saber tooth tiger are so unique to it that they are called the saber tooth suite. These include:
- Elongated Canines
- Wide gape
- Bulky forelimbs
- Shorter hind limbs
- Its body was more robust when compared to modern day cats and was more like a bear in build.
- It has short tail unlike those of lions and tigers.
- No fossils of saber-tooth skin or fur has been found yet so no evidence exist regarding their color patterns. Based on plant fossil evidence of that time, palaeontologists believe that it may had the dappled coat similar to that of a cheetah or bobcat.
4. Saber Tooth Tiger Sound
- The saber tooth tiger had a hyoid bone similar to that of lion’s in shape and size. This means that their voice box could probably produce a roar sound similar to that of modern day lions.
5. Read more about Saber Tooth Tigers
5. What does a Saber Tooth Tiger Look Like Video