White Tiger is a Bengal Tiger with a unique (recessive) gene inherited from its parents which makes its fur white. It is not a sub-species of the tiger. Today white tigers are only found in captivity and they do not exist in the wild. They existed in the wild in the Indian subcontinent till the 1950s. White tigers being the Bengal Tigers have the same diet as that of Bengal Tigers. We have gathered complete information on What Do White Tigers Eat and listed down all the things that form part of the white tiger diet in captivity and when they were found in the wild.
What Do White Tigers Eat
- White Tigers are true carnivores which means that they eat only meat.
- White tigers like all other cats have digestive tracts that cannot digest vegetation so they can only have a diet based on animal protein.
- White tigers also need fatty acids and vitamins in their natural state as they are unable to make them in their body like the omnivores and herbivores. They get the required fatty acids and vitamins by eating other animals which make them.
- The amino acids taurine and arginine are critical for the white tiger’s survival. They are found exclusively in the animal flesh, thus making meat a critical diet for white tigers.
- In captivity white tigers are fed with meat and in the wild, they used to hunt other animals to get meat.
What Do White Tigers Eat in Captivity
- In captivity, White Tigers eat less than they used to eat in the wild due to less physical activity.
- In captivity white tigers are fed a diet that contains a high amount of proteins and fats.
- In captivity white tiger’s diet includes:
- A fortified diet made from horse meat
- whole rabbits
- chicken splits
- water buffalo
- sometimes fish meat
- bones for calcium
- The caretakers of white tigers along with their routine diet also give them essential vitamins and mineral supplies.
- Taurine is also added to the white tiger’s diet as their absence may cause blindness, tooth decay, and ultimately heart failure.
What Do White Tigers Eat in the Wild
When white tigers were found in the wild they used to hunt the same animals that were hunted by the orange Bengal tiger which are:
- Sambar Deer
- Water buffalo
- Hog deer
- Wild boar
- Grey langurs
- Rhesus Monkey